Study Skills

Active reading




 The three videos discussed different approaches to studying, tools and tips.  

The three speakers offered their ways and approaches on how to use the learning tools , techniques and  skills to achieve the best results.  

 They researched how to effectively use the different skills to the best outcome of learning, tailored to their needs.  

In the first video, the speaker refers to the method that works the best for him. The method he devised consists of 3 ways: Quizzing, Spacing and Mixing. 

The quizzing way, or active recall, is about testing yourself as to how much you have retained.  

The spacing is how you spread the repetition and the Mixing is about understanding what you are reading rather than relying on memorization. 

In the second video the speaker explains his five active reading strategies for textbooks assignments. 

Tom Frankly uses what he describes as a pseudo-skimming method. By taking notes, reviewing, questioning and marking pages.  

By scanning texts, it becomes able to skim through and recognize what’s important in the context of the body of content. By asking the relevance, in the initial question posed, Tom explains that you get used to discern the most relevant information, by grouping or highlighting paragraphs, taking notes and then reviewing your notes. Also, by understanding them, making sense of them, then putting and assembling them together, you arrive at your assessment with your own words. 

In the third video, the speaker explains the Creative critical thinkers through Media literacy.  

It is about text, reading and writing colour coordination. Sub-texts are what you don’t see which is to suggest your own interpretation. You have to ask who is the message for and who is to question the message. The principle of the action there is to deconstruct to construct tell the untold story. It is designed to experience the potential of the message.  

As I don’t read books as much as I used to or would like to, I have to find ways to up-skill my reading habits in order to become more efficient at writing assignments. I have to devise a method to be able to read, skim, scan and retain the most important information.  

I quite like the idea of reading through, highlighting text or books. If it is not my own property, I think I would adopt the flagging method by using markers, to get at the most important information that I would have gathered during the initial reading. As for the studying skills I would benefit from working in short sessions then questioning myself, using flashcards as suggested. I have always been a fast reader and have been quite methodical in extracting the core information. I am open to suggestions and by watching these videos I have learned new ways and will be keen to apply them in my reading. I am keen to find more efficient ways to update my reading skills.  

As there’s so much material available, whether it is paper or digital, it is very important if you want to communicate messages, that you captivate the attention but also retain the attention of the reader. Whether it is visual or aural, the essential is straight to the point, simple, straight and concise.  

So less is more if you understand, question, quiz yourself and achieve through effort for a better retention. 

 


                         



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Media

Active Reading

Media Ethics