Towards Production

 


Towards Production


Our group project is about Identity, Representation and Media.


These topics have been assigned to groups according to their preferences of choice among a wide list of subjects relating to the Digital Media as we know it these days. Of our group of four people, so far, three of us have met once in person in the lab.  We have chosen a more specific topic which interests us as an individual task. We have agreed on a format ,which will be a video. Oliwia has chosen the LGBTQIA+ issue, Thomas has selected Football & Racism and I have selected Music & Racism. As a whole, our choices intersect to encompass a wide area which we can detail as we go along . We can also merge some of the common aspects to fit into the wider picture. 

We talked about the video option, which would suit us best. 

Oliwia suggested a form of cartoon or animation strip, with avatars for us as speakers. As I have a few skills using Illustrator, I offered to also help with creating them. Thomas shared that he was not really proficient at drawing and not really a techie which we reassured him that it would not be an issue as he would have other skills that we wouldn’t have and this is what teamwork can come in handy.

We mentioned how we could use interviews that we could insert alternating with photos, stills and music excerpts. I mentioned that I could borrow audio equipment from my son, who did a Music Production course and could  give us a few tips about music and sound editing. 

Oliwia explained that she had a few skills at video editing but would have to brush up on those, so I offered my help about the basic knowledge that I have acquired in narratives and animation. 

My choice of topic is vast so after watching a few videos, I put a few notes on paper. 

I started to think of that quote from Marshall MC Luhan “The Message is the Medium” and decided to elaborate on the subject. 


Image by <a href="https://pixabay.com/users/bokskapet-7322944/?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=4223911">Bokskapet</a> from <a href="https://pixabay.com/?utm_source=link-attribution&amp;utm_medium=referral&amp;utm_campaign=image&amp;utm_content=4223911">Pixabay</a>





By process of elimination of all the ideas, I decided to keep it simple, straight to the point. These are the questions I asked myself: 

Which world or sub genre of music will I pick? I picked a  Subculture of Music, Ska.

How is it conveyed through Media?  Through bands, singers, posters, books.

How is it identified?  Through the followers, fans,  the people that it unites through their concern of racism. This movement is characterised by the unity and strength of the people who purport the message of racism having no place in the world of music. 

This scene is very much recognised by its stance of inclusion of all races, with a very recognisable display of two-tones logos, like flags flying across the world. 

With a dress code to emphasise these moral values, clothing has become a way of showing your belonging to this subculture movement. This distinctive clothing has become instantly recognisable among peers which makes it easier to convey messages to a wider audience.

With photos, videos, stills, and book excerpts I think that I can gather enough information to project my vision to an audience which has yet to learn about it.





Digital Media Basics - YouTube

5 ways to INSTANTLY make BETTER VIDEOS! - YouTube

Cinematic Lighting Techniques | Part 1 - YouTube

Crash Course Film Production Preview - YouTube

My YouTube Studio Setup | Evan Edinger - YouTube

The MKBHD Setup Tour 2020! - YouTube



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Media

Active Reading

Media Ethics